An internship is a professional-level learning experience in the workplace. It provides an opportunity to apply learning from the classroom in a real situation.
- May be paid or unpaid
- May be full- or part-time
- May be local, national, or international
- May be for academic credit or non-credit (Immigration laws require that international students register for credit).
How can I benefit?
- Obtain professional experience in your field
- Learn about your own strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, values, etc.
- Develop skills such as professionalism, leadership, and problem-solving
- Make valuable contacts
- Help define your career path
How can I participate?
- You must be enrolled as a UK student—any major, any class level, any GPA
- Attend an Internship Information Session at the Career Center (view schedules PDF) or view the online Internship Information Session (PowerPoint)
- Obtaining an internship involves an application and interview process with an employer; you will need to prepare a resume and may want to practice interviewing (see your Career Counselor for assistance)