University of Kentucky
Academic Advising Syllabus
The goal of Academic Advising at the University of Kentucky is that students will recognize their personal skills, strengths, weaknesses, and interests and relate them to their academic goals. Students will learn to accept overall responsibility for their education. With assistance from the advisor, the student will:
- Satisfy key requirements according to published deadlines within the University Academic calendar
- Formulate and clarify goals related to academic and career choices
- Develop an academic plan based on those goals
- Recognize the link between extra curricular activities and academic experiences
- Use campus resources as needed including but not limited to:
- Career Center
- Counseling & Testing
- The Study
- Identify and schedule appropriate internships/shadowing/work experiences which complement formal class work to achieve overall academic and career goals.
Academic Advising is a collaborative effort between student and advisor, both having responsibilities.
Students are responsible for:
- Knowing the requirements of their particular academic program; selecting courses that meet those requirements in an appropriate time frame; and monitoring their progress toward graduation;
- Consulting with appropriate advisors designated to handle the kind of questions or concerns they have;
- Scheduling and keeping academic advising appointments in a timely manner throughout their academic career, so as to avoid seeking advising only during busy registration periods; and
- Being prepared for advising sessions.
Advisors are responsible for:
- Helping students clarify their options, goals and potential, and understand themselves better;
- Helping students understand the nature and purpose of a college education;
- Maintaining confidentiality per University and Federal guidelines;
- Providing accurate information about educational options, requirements, policies and procedures, and
- Helping students plan their educational program and monitor and evaluate their educational progress.
Academic Program Evaluation and Xploration (APEX), degree audit
Counseling and Testing Center
- https://myuk.uky.edu/irj/portal; 257-1300
The Office of Student Involvement
Student Information Pages
The University Bulletin
Student Rights and Responsibilities
The Academic Ombud